If you are planning a perfect trip to Alaska and wondering if you should include a Denali Flightseeing in your itinerary, my answer for you is: Please, do it! One of the best ways to experience the magical beauty of Denali National Park is on a flightseeing tour.
Denali National Park is one of the largest National Parks in the USA and it is named for the Denali, the tallest mountain in North America, at 20,310 feet (6,190 meters), with 6 million acres of a remote vast, and rugged wilderness area.
On a Denali flight tour, you have the chance to get close to the majestic mountain and see it right in front of your eyes. Plus, on some tours you will also have the chance to add a glacier landing, adding even more to your unforgettable experience. Taking a Denali flightseeing tour is one of the bucket list experiences in Alaska.
In this guide, you will find all the information you need to know to know, all the best Denali flightseeing tour options, and a detailed review of each tour, so it will be easy for you to choose what is the best tour for you. So, without any further ado, let’s dive into this guide!
If you are planning an Alaska Itinerary, these are must-read:
- How to visit Denali National Park
- 21 Fun & Interesting Facts About Alaska
- What to Pack for Alaska + FREE Printable
Read More: What Alaska is known for? 20 Things Alaska is famous for
Best Denali Flightseeing Tours Overview
You can quickly scan this table if you don’t have the time to read this article right now. It shows the best Denali Flightseeing tours and a rundown of what each one offers!
Denali Experience Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna
The Denali Experience Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna is the most popular Denali Flightseeing and the one I chose to go to. You have the option to go on a private or group tour on board for 1.5 hours. You also have the option to include glacier landing.
|Best Overall Denali Flightseeing||1.5 hours, small group, this was my personal choice!||Denali Experience Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna|
|Top Denali Flightseeing tour + Glacier Landing||1.5-2 hours tour, enjoy the flightseeing tour with glacier landing||Talkeetna: Grand Denali Flight Tour with Optional Glacier Landing|
|Best Budget Denali Flightseeing tour||1-1.5 hour tour with a small group, with a small group||Talkeetna: Denali Southside Explorer Scenic Air Tour|
|Top Denali Flightseeing tour for the best views||1-hour to catch fantastic views of the tallest mountains in the Alaska Range||Denali Peak Sightseeing by Plane|
Read More: A Complete Guide on How to Visit Denali National Park
How to Choose The Best Denali Flightseeing Tours
Going on a Denali flightseeing tour should be on your Alaska bucket list! There are several options available with the main operators being K2 Aviation, Fly Denali, and Talkeetna Air Taxi. These companies are located in Talkeetna, the closest town located around 2.5 hours drive to Denali National Park.
All the tours include a scenic flight around the Alaska Range and these tours usually last between 1-1.5 hours. However, if you choose a tour with an optional glacier landing you’ll have around 30 minutes extra so you can depart the plane and explore. Prices range from $255-460 depending on which tour you choose!
GetYourGuide is one of the best options for booking Denali Flightseeing Tours as there are several tours available. Not only do they work with high-quality operators, but Get Your Guide also has a flexible cancellation policy. They’ve over 12 years of experience when it comes to tours and excursions so you’re guaranteed to be in good hands.
Viator is another popular choice and they also have a flexible cancellation policy. This company is actually part of TripAdvisor and they offer over 200,000 tours all across the world. If you use Viator you’ll also benefit from multilingual customer service and many of their tours are extremely affordable. Lastly, they have a ‘reserve now & pay later option.
Read More: Top 15 Things to do in Talkeetna
Tips to Plan Your Denali Flightseeing Tour
Overall Best Denali Flightseeing Tours
1. Denali Experience Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna
Why Take This Tour:
With this Denali Experience Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna, you will head out over the Alaskan wilderness and see the true beauty of this state.
From Talkeetna State Airport you’ll fly over the national park and up to 6 miles (10 km) from the summit of Mount Denali. If it’s a clear day then expect breathtaking views of North America’s tallest mountain!
After admiring the summit you’ll then fly down into the Ruth Amphitheater and the Great Gorge. This will allow you to see the iconic Ruth Glacier and Tokositna Glacier so have your camera ready! During this tour, you’ll also get to spot Mount Huntington, Mount Hunter, and Moose’s Tooth.
This Denali flightseeing tour includes an optional glacier landing too but you’ll have to decide that when you book!
- You’ll get to listen to live commentary during the tour
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off are included
- You’ll have an exclusive flight experience as only 6 people are allowed on this tour
- At the end of the tour, you can purchase a DVD if you wish!
2. Talkeetna: Grand Denali Flight Tour with Optional Glacier Landing
Why Take This Tour:
This Grand Denali Flight Tour is one of the most popular options when it goes to flightseeing in Alaska. Operated by Talkeetna Air Taxi, this tour will take you over the striking Alaska Range where you’ll get to see the diversity of Denali National Park.
The pilot will take you through one of the passes located on either side of Mount Denali so be prepared for some epic views! You’ll be treated to stunning views of the tundra landscapes before heading towards Wickersham Wall – the North face of the mountain. Standing at an impressive 13,658 feet (4,163m) this is one of the best things you’ll see during your trip to Alaska!
If you’ve opted for the glacier landing then you’ll have 30 minutes down on the ground to explore and take photographs.
- Gives you the chance to land on a glacier and then spend some time exploring the area!
- You’ll get to admire the iconic Wickersham Wall
- The weather and safety briefing will be held in a charming Alaskan cabin
- This tour offers you the chance to appreciate Alaska’s tundra landscapes
3. Talkeetna: Denali Southside Explorer Scenic Air Tour
Why Take This Tour:
This Denali Southside Explorer Scenic Air Tour will take you on the adventure of a lifetime! It’s one of the best Denali flightseeing tours out there and offers you the chance to admire some of Alaska’s most dramatic landscapes.
From take-off, you’ll get to admire the views from your window seat as you head to the Alaska Range. As the name of the tour suggests, you’ll be flying over the south side of this mountain range where you’ll get to see striking peaks and incredible glaciers.
Some of the best areas you’ll get to see include the Great Gorge, the Don Sheldon Amphitheater, and Ruth Glacier. If you choose the optional glacier landing then you’ll also get 30 minutes down on the ground.
- You’ll get to relax in an authentic Alaskan cabin after your briefing while you wait for the pilot
- Every flight is customized to get you the best views of Denali National Park
- You’ll get to see popular spots including the Great Gorge and Ruth Glacier
- There’s an optional glacier landing available if you wish to do it
4. Denali Peak Sightseeing by Plane
Why Take This Tour:
If you’re looking for a Denali Peak Sightseeing tour then this is one of your best options! Although it’s one of the most expensive options, you’ll truly get to see the best of Denali National Park.
Not only will you get to marvel at Mount Denali’s North Face – the Wickersham Wall but you’ll also get to admire the next three tallest mountains in the Alaska Range. These are Mount Foraker, Mount Hunter, and Mount Russel. You’ll also get to see Mount Denali’s iconic ridgelines during this tour.
If that alone isn’t enough to convince you then you’ll get to fly over several glaciers too including Eldridge, Kahiltna, Ruth, and Tokositna. This tour also takes you over the Great gorge and some of the national park’s other dramatic landscapes.
- You’ll get to see the four biggest mountains in the Alaska Range (weather dependant)
- This tour flys over some of Alaska’s most impressive glaciers
- Get fantastic views of Wickersham Wall during your tour
- During the climbing season, you’ll get to see the most popular climbing routes and camps from above
What to Wear during a Denali Flightseeing Tour?
As you’ll be flying at altitude it’s naturally going to feel colder so you’ll want to dress appropriately. Here are a couple of recommendations:
- Wear long pants and a long-sleeved shirt as your underlayer
- Have a sweater or a light jacket that you can wear over the top if necessary
- If you feel cold generally, then may want to wear a warm coat and a hat
- Bring sunglasses with you to help with the glare that you’ll encounter off the snow-capped mountain peaks
- Make sure you’re wearing closed-toe shoes e.g. hiking boots or snow boots
Read More: What to pack for Alaska + FREE printable packing list
Denali Flightseeing Photos
Denali Flightseeing Tour Conclusion
As you can see there are plenty of fantastic Denali flightseeing tours available! Whether you choose to include a glacier landing or not, this is one of the best experiences that you can do in Alaska.
Just make sure you weigh up each tour to see which one is most suitable for you! You’ll also want to take into account the price and the flexibility required for this type of activity due to cancellations.
This experience is a must for any Alaska itinerary so make sure you book in advance!
If you’re planning an Alaska trip then here are some other posts that you may enjoy:
- How to Visit Denali National Park: Complete Visitors Guide
- 10 Top Things to do in Denali National Park + Best Hikes
- 15 Unmissable Things to do in Talkeetna
- What to Pack for Alaska + FREE Printable
- 21 Epic Things to do in Valdez + Complete City Guide
- 30 Epic Things to do in Seward, Ak + Complete City Guide
- 24 Things to do in Fairbanks, Alaska + Complete City Guide
- 20 Awesome Things to do in Anchorage, Alaska + Complete City Guide
Follow + Share
If you found this guide useful, follow me on Instagram to stay up to date with my travels & Subscribe to my YouTube Channel to keep you with my workout videos.
I would love it if you could follow me on Pinterest and share this guide on my social media.
Plan your Trip
You can plan your trip with this easy guide and have access to the best services I recommend and get discounts here.