If you are traveling to Vermont and wondering what are the best things to do in winter, you should definitively add Stowe to your Vermont Itinerary.
You are about to find the top things to do in Stowe during your winter vacation in Vermont, plus this guide is packed with very helpful tips to make your search very easy and fund – in the end, I hope you will be convinced to include Stowe in your winter itinerary.
This was my first trip to Vermont in winter, and I am so glad I included Stowe, it ended up being one of my favorite places I visited.
Stowe is very well-known for the historical covered bridges, stunning mountainous landscapes, and for outdoor activities. If you love winter sports, especially skiing and snowboarding, you need to add Stowe to your bucket list destination.
But in Stowe, you can also find plenty of things to do and it is a great destination for a romantic destination for couples, an adventure vacation with the family, or a fun trip with your dogs….at least this is how I visited Stowe and me, Cooper and Pingo (my fur babies) had a great time!
You will also love:
- 15 Best Cabins to Rent in Vermont
- 20 Most Beautiful Covered Bridges in Vermont
- 18 Amazing Things To Do in Vermont in Winter
- Essential Tips for Visiting Stowe VT in Winter
- The Absolutely 13 Best Things to do in Stowe, VT in Winter
- 1. Stroll the Stowe downtown
- 2. Go Skiing or Snowboarding in Stowe
- 3. Go on a snowmobiling tour
- 4. Get warm with the B-E-S-T Hot Chocolate!
- 5. Take a ride to the top of Mount Mansfield
- 6. Book an incredible stay at the Trapp Family Lodge
- 7. Enjoy the local beer and cuisine in Stowe in winter
- 8. Go Snowshoe in Stowe
- 9. Go Ice Skating in Stowe in winter
- 10. Stowe Winter Carnival
- 11. Spoil yourself with a Spa Day at the Topnotch Resort
- 12. Visit the Ben & Jerry
- 13. Rent a cabin in Stowe
- Best Places to Stay in Stowe during winter
- What to Pack for Stowe in Winter
- Travel Insurance for your trip
- Things to do in Stowe, VT in Winter Conclusion
Read More: 15 Most Amazing Cabins in Vermont
Essential Tips for Visiting Stowe VT in Winter
Before you jump to the best things to do in Stowe VT in winter, let’s talk about trip planning and make sure you are prepared for the best experience:
- I recommend spending at least two days to take full advantage of all things you find to do in Stowe
- You can stay in Stowe as a base if you are planning to take nearby day trips, such as Burlington, VT
- The best areas to stay in between the ski resorts and the town. One of the best accommodations options is the famous Trapp Family Lodge: This is one of the main attractions in Stowe and for a reason.
- For an authentic experience, I recommend to rent one of the amazing cabins in Stowe area.
- Making your hotel reservations in advance is also part of a well-planned visit, as it may be hard to find last-minute accommodations
- It is cold in Stowe in winter, so be sure to pack your warm jacket
- If you are driving, you will find plenty of parking spots around the city.
- You will need a car to explore the surroundings of Burlington. You can get a 15% off your rental car when you book through this site. I use and recommend RentalCar because it is the most reliable rental car source, and it allows you to compare the prices of different places.
The Absolutely 13 Best Things to do in Stowe, VT in Winter
1. Stroll the Stowe downtown
This is the first sight of things to do in Stowe, VT in winter – Stowe is a small but very cute town, and during winter it looks like a perfect postcard downtown. It makes you wonder if it is a real town, or something out of a fairy tale book, with a very romantic feel to it.
Stowe downtown is very charming, with well-preserved old houses, cafes, and with the white church as a main focal point of the town. Visit the antique shops, stop at the Shaw’s General Store, and find some great books at the cute Bear Pond Books store.
The amazing little village offers 70 stores featuring everything from hard-to-find gourmet kitchenware to luxury outdoor apparel.
Read More: 18 Awesome Things to do in Vermont in Winter
2. Go Skiing or Snowboarding in Stowe
One of the highlights and best things to do in Stowe, VT in winter is to go skiing or snowboarding. Stowe is considered one of the best ski towns in the United States, and it is a paradise for any winter sports enthusiasts because it has excellent powder, and the Stowe Resort offers some of the best slopes.
Stowe offers both cross-country and downhill skiing, with incredible over 115 trails and 12 lifts, Stowe is a fairly large mountain with varying terrain. You can check the location and prices and lift prices at the official Stowe site.
Read More: 18 Awesome Things to do in Vermont in Winter
3. Go on a snowmobiling tour
Just because there are awesome things to do in Stowe VT in winter, snowmobiling is one of them and very popular for any outdoor or adventure lover.
The great news is that Stowe, VT offers numerous snowmobiling trails. Make sure you book a tour with an experienced guide, and go on a lifetime adventure through pristine forests for breathtaking views of the mountains and streams Vermont is famous for. You will just love it!
4. Get warm with the B-E-S-T Hot Chocolate!
When it is cold in Vermont, it is time to find something to keep you warm. One of the best things to do in Stowe in winter when you are exploring the town is to stop at the Laughing Moon Chocolates for a hot chocolate. It is seriously the B-E-S-T hot chocolate I have had in my life!
They also have an amazing collection of chocolates, fudges, and even CBD chocolates – that even someone who is not a big chocolate lover like me, wants to get back for my seconds. I love that they are also committed to social responsibility by using local fresh ingredients.
5. Take a ride to the top of Mount Mansfield
This is an awesome thing to do in Stowe in winter that you won’t want to miss! You can take a ride on the gondola to the highest peak in Vermont, Mount Mansfield, with 4,393′ height to check the spectacular views over the valley.
From the gondola, you can stop for a bite at the Cliff House Restaurant and you can enjoy some sweet treats, drinks, or enjoy a sweet treat at The Waffle while you take the incredible mountain views. If you are not skiing down the mountain, you can take the gondola back. The ticket costs $37 per adult and $26 for a child. You can check more information here.
6. Book an incredible stay at the Trapp Family Lodge
You cannot visit Stowe without visiting the Trapp Family Lodge, that is a fact! This Austrian-inspired mountain resort is considered a landmark in Stowe. Settled in a beautiful 2,500 acres beautiful area by the Von Trapp Family back in 1940, whose story was told in the movie The Sound of Music.
Today, the resort offers very inviting accommodations, world-class cuisine dining with 3 restaurants, a very authentic Austrian-style brewery, and endless activities such as cross country skiing, hiking trails, and golf. this is all surrounded by stunning views overlooking Stowe.
If you are interested in booking accommodations at Trapp Family Lodge for the winter season, make sure you book way in advance, as the rooms go fast!
7. Enjoy the local beer and cuisine in Stowe in winter
One of the top things to do in Vermont is definitely the culinary delights. A great option is to book a half-day brewery tour with a small group to take advantage of your time in Stowe with an expert local guide.
And in Stowe, you can find amazing places to eat. Of course, if you are visiting Stowe, you cannot leave without having a beer and a meal at the Von Trapp Brewery – OMG, the beer there is great, but the food is phenomenal. You must try the chicken schnitzel or the grilled bratwurst sandwich!
If you are planning to visit the Ben & Jerry factory in Waterbury, Route 100 offers great options for farm-to-table food. You can also stop at the Cabot Farmer’s Store to indulge in some incredible cheese, and the cheddar cheese is their specialty. Plus, you will love their shop with so many local products.
8. Go Snowshoe in Stowe
If you are looking for a fun and free thing to do in Vermont in winter, snowshoeing is for you! It is a great activity for any age, and it is just a great way to explore the outdoors and keep active.
One of the best places to go snowshoe in Stowe is at the Trapp Family Lodge, with 2,500 acres of beautiful snow trails.
You can bring your shoes, you can rent snowshoes right in the outdoor activity center, which is adjacent to the hotel, for about $25 for the day. There are maps and marked trails all around the property if you’re interested in a self-guided walk.
9. Go Ice Skating in Stowe in winter
A very cool thing to do in Stowe in winter is to go ice skating. Even if you haven’t been ice skating before, it is a fun thing to learn (or at least try).
A great place to go is the Spruce Peak Village Center, with an open-air rink where you can rent your skate. Also, there is an indoor rink in the Stowe Village at the Stowe Arena, featuring ice skating from June through March.
10. Stowe Winter Carnival
If you are visiting Vermont in January, take advantage of including the Stowe Winter Carnival in your things to do in Stowe VT in winter.
It is a fun winter season tradition and a great way to experience the winter in Vermont, with lots of very unique things to explore. You will be able to see an impressive ice carving competition, delicious food and drinks, a live music festival and some sports activities too.
PRO-TIP: You can join a guided snowshoeing trip or participate in the snow gold tournament
11. Spoil yourself with a Spa Day at the Topnotch Resort
As important as enjoying all the activities in Stowe in winter, is to take some time to spoil yourself with a relaxing massage or even better, a spa day. Especially after a long day heating the slopes, the best way way to relax and unwind is with a massage or any spa treatment.
Even if you are not skiing, it is a great thing to add to your Vermont winter vacation, and a very romantic way to enjoy a blissful time with a hot stone massage or a therapeutical massage at the Trapp Family Lodge, and enjoy some serenity. Or book a full day sap at the Lodge at the Spruce Peak for a luxurious time in Stowe, why not? 😉
12. Visit the Ben & Jerry
And because it is never too cold to have ice cream. If you are looking for things to do around Stowe, and if you are a big fan of Ben & Jerry, you cannot miss this! Ben & Jerry is located in Waterbury, less than a 20-minute drive from downtown Stowe.
It makes a great short drive to visit the fabric and try some of the amazing flavors, visit the gift shop and have some fun visiting the flavor graveyard where you can find all the retired flavors over the years.
13. Rent a cabin in Stowe
Last, but not least on this amazing list of things to do in Stowe, VT in winter, is to rent a cabin and get warm and cozy by the fire. This is seriously one of my favorite things to do any time I take a winter vacation.
It is a perfect scene experience to invite magic and romance by sipping a glass of wine sitting in front of a wood burn fireplace at the end of the day. Or to get up in the morning and slowly enjoy a hot coffee while watching the white wonderland just outside your window.
You can choose to stay at a romantic feel with amazing mountain views, such as this Quaint Stowe Cabin, or if you are traveling with a group of up to 6 people this Classic Stowe Ski Chalet is a wonderful choice. I just recommend renting way in advance, as they tend to go fast!
Best Places to Stay in Stowe during winter
If you are looking for the best accommodations to stay in Stowe during your winter vacation, the good news is that Stowe offers great accommodation options for every taste and budget. You can rent a cozy cabin for your vacation in Stowe, or I have selected the best accommodation options based on your budget and preference:
Top-Rated | Trapp Family Lodge: This is one of the main attractions in Stowe and for a reason. The resort offers accommodations with stunning views and plenty of activities including 3 restaurants.
Luxury | The Lodge at Spruce Peak: This place is just for a WOW vacation! The location is stunning, only 6 mi from Mt Mansfield State Forest, and features an 18-hole golf course, full-service spa, and 2 restaurants.
Mid-Range | Timberholm Inn: If you are looking for casual accommodation in Stowe, this place is for you. This family-run B&B has an excellent location, close to the town and to ski resorts. Outstanding views, overlooking the Green Mountains. You will love the full country breakfast!
Budget | Green Mountain Inn: If you are looking for a great location, excellent service, and beautiful rooms, and want to stay on a budget, you must want to check the Inn. Plus, the breakfast is to die for!
What to Pack for Stowe in Winter
You need to plan the right packing for your winter vacation in Stowe. Make sure you are prepared, considering the season and the activities you are planning to do. Here are some quick tips:
- Pack layers are the best you can do!
- Pack rain gear – you don’t want to get soaked wet while exploring
- A hat, gloves, and scarf can’t go wrong, even in summer.
- Bring good quality sturdy snow boots.
- Bring warm leggings to wear as a layer is a smart choice!
- Pack a good and warm jacket a waterproof jacket for your trip, check my complete review guide on the Top Jackets for Travel
- If you are planning to carry a backpack for your trip to Vermont, I have compiled a very detailed review of the Best Backpacks for Travel on the market today
Travel Insurance for your trip
I never leave my home without travel insurance which is designed to help cover your expenses if something goes wrong on your trip. Things can go wrong, and you don’t want to get stuck paying tons of money if you get sick or have an accident without travel insurance.
World Nomads Travel Insurance has been designed by travelers for travelers, to cover their trip essentials. Especially if you are like me, travel insurance is ideal for adventurous travelers. Travel smarter and safer – You can do your quick quote below and find out how little you can pay for the essential benefit of Travel Insurance for your next trip!
Things to do in Stowe, VT in Winter Conclusion
Stowe is considered one of the top winter sports in the United States. It is also, a very charming and romantic place in New England. Making it a perfect destination for anyone, from adventure lovers to a romantic gateway.
There are plenty of awesome things to do in Stowe, VT in winter and you will easily fall in love, just like I did. And I cannot wait to get back in the fall to continue to explore more of this amazing destination.
If you are looking to visit Vermont, you will love to read this next:
- 15 Coziest & Most Romantic Cabins to Rent in Vermont
- Top 10 Most beautiful towns in Vermont for a perfect winter gateway
- 18 Awesome Things to do in Vermont in Winter
- Top Things to do in Burlington in Winter
- 20 Awesome Things to do in Woodstock, VT
- 20 Most Amazing Covered Bridges in Vermont
- Top-rated winter jackets: Expert Review
Follow + Share
I would love it if you could follow me on Pinterest and share this guide on my social media.
Plan your Trip
You can plan your trip with this easy guide and have access to the best services I recommend and get discounts here.